2017 will be remembered for many things: a solar eclipse that brought work and school to a standstill as we all gathered outside to watch this natural phenomenon; a strong and steady stock market; and an unprecedented number of natural and manmade disasters: wildfires that swept through California, horrific shootings in Las Vegas and Texas, and back-to-back Hurricanes Harvey, Irma, and Maria throughout the southwest, southeast, and coastal US including Puerto Rico.
While Mother Nature showed us her worst, we witnessed some of the best in neighbors and communities coming together to help each other. We all remember the images of neighbors carrying the stranded in their boats, on their backs and in their arms; the shelters around the country who took in hundreds of displaced people and their pets and animals and the volunteer doctors, nurses, and veterinarians who flew in from far and wide to provide care; and the food and supply drives that took place across the country at churches, boy scout troops, schools, businesses, and neighborhoods. Everyone stepped in to help where and how they could.
In this spirit of helping our neighbors, our 2017 Holiday Giving is dedicated to an organization that steps in to help at the worst of times – The American Red Cross.
In the last three months, the American Red Cross has:
- Trained more than 18,500 people in disaster relief – 91% are volunteer
- Provided more than 1.3 million overnight stays in emergency shelters – more than the last five years combined
- Served more than 10.5 million meals and snacks
- Distributed more than 6 million emergency relief items – safe shelter, medical assistance, hot meals, clean water, toiletries and personal hygiene items, and cleaning supplies
- Delivered more than $229 million in direct financial assistance to over 573,000 households
In this season of giving and hope, we are humbled and honored to recognize our clients by giving a donation to the American Red Cross, an organization that gives hope and help to those in their most desperate hour of need.
Many wishes for a holiday season full of hope from all of us at Bridgeworth!